Saturday 22 October 2016

Knitting and Crochet: Yarn Destash and Project Finish - 2kg before Christmas


So far this blog has been made up mostly of beauty reviews and thrift hauls, however when I started it a few months ago that was never all I wanted it to be. Theres more to me than liquid lipstick and second hand jumpers.

I've always been a really creative person, as a child it was drawing and as a teenager I learned to hand and machine sew. In my early twenties I taught myself to crochet, knit and needle felt and these activities have now became my biggest creative outlets.

 My job isn't a creative one, its very customer service based, which may be a blessing and a curse at the same time. The good days, when I really help someone, or get a lot done are great. On bad days I find myself dreaming of being anywhere else, sometimes with my friends, sometimes alone, either way I always have knitting or crochet close by.

Its at the stage now where I find it almost compulsive. I struggle to sit and watch TV without something in my hands and I've been known to take smaller projects to the pub on occasion. I find it calming after a bad day and it's a great activity to shut my brain off before bed. It's my jam.

Unfortunately (or fortunately *smooth*) a hobby like knitting requires wool, and when you have wool you've bought without a specific project in mind this goes into your stash. My stash is a little out of control and I need to reign it back in just a smidge.

As yarn is primarily measured in weight (then length, and there's also a yarn thickness measure) I decided it would be easier to create a weight based target for this project. 2kg might not seem like a lot, but that's over 20 pairs of hand knitted socks, 2 large blankets or over 300 crocheted flowers. 

What I'm going to do is weigh and photograph everything I finish. Then tally it up. I'll do an update when I hit a kilo and then again just after Christmas to let you know how I got on. If I find I hit it earlier than expected by tearing through the chunky stuff, I'll maybe extend it by 500g at a time.

I'm also going to start a separate destash bag I'll weugh separately at the end, everything in here will be of useable length and I'll probably try and pass it on to a local group or care home that could make good use out of it. I'm not going to set myself a target for this as all the yarn I own I bought for a reason and I don't think they'll be a huge amount I want to give away.

Wish me luck.

XOXO Scruffy

Enquiry? Message me ascruffyduck@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment